I’m glad to finally announce that UK recruitment for the dexpramipexole clinical trial is now open!
So far, we are aware that Liverpool has opened for recruitment and the remaining centres will follow suit shortly.
This trial is a fantastic opportunity for approximately 60 people with MND in the UK to take part in this worldwide clinical trial that is taking place in 11 countries around the world.
Key trial facts:
- The drug is called Dexpramipexole and is a tablet
- Participants will be asked to take the drug for 12-18 months
- The UK part of the trial will involve six MND Care Centres across England:
- Birmingham, Sheffield, King’s College London, Liverpool (now open), Newcastle and Oxford
- A key inclusion criteria is ‘symptom onset less than 24 months before trial start’. This will disappoint a lot of people with MND as this is tighter than other trials and will automatically exclude a lot of people
- Each centre will be looking for approximately 10 participants, which means realistically, participants are likely to be enrolled within a catchment of 50 miles from each centre.
To find out more about the trial, see our news in research article where you can download our dexpramipexole information sheet which includes contact centres for all six UK sites. Please only contact these sites if you believe, after reading our information sheet that you may be eligible to take part. If you have more general questions about the trial, please contact the MND Association – either MND Connect or the research development team, our contact details can be found via our news in research article.